Job ID: 315983
Location: Chandler-Gilbert Comm College
Full/Part Time: Full Time
$47,734 - $91,803/annually, DOE
Are you looking for a place to work where you can make a real difference in the lives of over 200,000 college students every year?
Would you like to be part of an organization that adds $7.2 billion dollars to the economy and supports nearly 100,000 jobs in the fastest growing county in the United States?
Whether you're teaching, working, or learning Make It Happen At Maricopa County Community Colleges!
What's Currently Happening at Maricopa
- Many of our campuses have received grant awards through the National Science Foundation to improve undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic-Serving institutions program (HSI Program).
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity and employee groups to create an environment of shared governance
- One of the largest community college systems in the country
- 2020 Healthy Arizona Worksites Program recipient
- Named 19th Best Employer for Women by Forbes
- 2019 No. 42 in Arizona's Best Employers
We are committed to providing you with a competitive, comprehensive benefits program that provides the care you and your family need to lead healthy and productive lives. Our benefits are designed to provide support for every life stage and lifestyle in our community Benefits & Perks Options
- Paid observed federal holidays
- Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) & 12% Employee Contribution Match
- Paid sick, and personal time (if applicable)
- Multiple health and dental insurance coverage plans
- Teladoc: Reach a doctor 24/7
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Maricopa Perks & Gears Discount Program
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Professional Growth funding (if applicable)
- Tuition reimbursement for employee and dependents (if applicable)
- Maricopa Employee Health & Wellness Program
- Employee recognition opportunities among other perks.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
*This position is scheduled to begin August 2022*
Chandler-Gilbert Community College is seeking to hire an Astronomy residential faculty to join the Physical Sciences and Engineering division that houses multiple disciplines: Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Astronomy, Chemistry, Engineering, Physics, and Geosciences.
The selected candidate will work in a diverse environment to develop and teach integrated astronomy lecture-laboratory courses in both face-to-face and online modalities. This full-time faculty member will participate in division and program projects, actively participate on college and district committees, and engage in opportunities to enhance professional growth. The Astronomy Faculty Member will provide leadership to adjunct and dual enrollment faculty, use instructional technologies and incorporate active learning techniques.
- Facilitate student learning in classroom, laboratory, and/or on-line; use instructional technologies and incorporate active learning techniques; provide leadership to and observation of adjunct and dual enrollment faculty; maintain accurate attendance and grade records
- Engage in continuous improvement of curriculum, integrating new developments in astronomy and using best practices from astronomy/physics education research
- Work collaboratively with colleagues on assessment metrics, strategic planning, and creative problem-solving within the division, college, and district including, but not limited to participating in campus and/or district initiatives and committees, and participate in and collect course and general education assessment
- Tutor/mentor/advise students on curricular, co-curricular, academic (including "office" or "academic support" hours), and/or career issues
- Actively engage in opportunities to enhance professional growth through training and attendance at conferences, courses, seminars, and/or workshops
The Academic Teaching Fields require the following from an accredited college or university:
1. A master's degree in the teaching field, or a master's in any teaching field plus 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching field
2. EDU 250 - Teaching and Learning in the Community College -- or equivalent must be completed within two years of date of hire
1. Ph.D. in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Planetary Science or Ph.D. in Physics with an emphasis in Astronomy or Astrophysics
2. Two (2) or more years' experience of teaching introductory astronomy at the college or university level
3. Experience incorporating active learning and other student engagement strategies into in-person and/or online astronomy lectures, laboratories, and/or integrated lecture-lab settings
4. Experience with the use of instructional technology with students in a lecture classroom, laboratory classroom, and/or online environments
5. Experience working with and developing curriculum for underrepresented, non-traditional, and liberal-arts students
6. Experience participating with astronomy-, physics-, science-, or education-based professional organization(s) and their periodicals, meetings and/or workshops
7. Experience with co-curricular activities such as science outreach, dual enrollment, service learning, learning communities, student clubs, etc
Special Working Conditions
May be required to work at multiple campuses.
May be required to work and instruct during evenings and weekends, and/or be assigned to teach on particular days.
May be required to lift objects weighing up to 30 lbs.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit unofficial transcripts, resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a cover letter showing how the applicant meets the minimum and desired qualifications. All minimum requirements must be met at the time of the application. If your master's degree is not in the teaching field, then please list the 18 graduate semester hours completed in the teaching field in your application materials.
MCCCD accepts unofficial transcripts for U.S. schools at the time of application. Unofficial transcripts are required as an attachment to the application. Transcripts from non U.S. institutions must be translated and evaluated and provided with application material.
Additional materials will not be accepted after the job posting has closed.
Missing materials or incomplete employment history will not be considered.
Please ensure your materials clearly provide the following information.
- Clearly illustrate how prior experience, knowledge and education meet the minimum and desired qualifications for this position.
- Indicate whether former or current employment is Full-Time or;
- Part-Time employment (must include number of hours worked or load)
- Provide employment history in a month/year format (e.g., 09/07 to 10/11) including job title, job duties, for each position held and name of employer for each position.
- Three professional references, preferably current and/or former supervisors. If references are not provided in resume upon application, they will be requested at time of interview.
Posting Close Date
Apply on or before February 3, 2022 to be considered.
Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) will not discriminate, nor tolerate discrimination in employment or education, against any applicant, employee, or student because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status (including document abuse), age, disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
The policy of the MCCCD is to provide an educational, employment, and business environment free of gender discrimination. Incidents of misconduct should be reported to the college Title IX Coordinator, as outlined in policy, contact information is available at this link Title IX Coordinators.
The Clery Act is a Federal law requiring United States Colleges and Universities to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. Crime reporting data for each of the Maricopa Community Colleges, as required under the Clery Act, is available at this link Clery Act
To apply, visit https://jobs.maricopa.edu/psp/MCPAHPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1000&JobOpeningId=315983&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency