Adjunct Pool: Physics/Astronomy/Physical Science
Salary: $52.94 - $66.34 Hourly
Job Type: Part Time
Job Number: 20220056
Closing: 6/30/2023 12:00 PM Pacific
Location: Merced, CA
Open pool for academic year 2022-2023additional compensation for doctorate
Merced College is a midsized community college located in California's Central Valley. Founded in 1962, the college serves more than 16,000 students, with room to expand on its 267-acre main campus and 120-acre Los Banos site, as well as at our innovative Business Resource Center in Downtown Merced. The City of Merced, incorporated in 1889, offers historical sites, affordable housing and access to the Bay Area and Sacramento. Merced is known as the Gateway to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevada mountains, and is home to the University of California's newest campus, UC Merced. Our tree-shaded, growing community of just over 80,000 includes multiple biking and walking trails as well as access to several lakes - large and small - throughout the county.
Merced College Vision
Merced College will provide transformative and empowering educational experiences to meet student and community needs.
Merced College Mission
Growing our community through education and workforce training:
- lifelong learning
- basic skills
- career technical education
- degree/certificate programs
This is a part-time instructional assignment. Courses may include assignments in Astronomy, Physical Science and Physics. The maximum teaching load is 10 units per semester, which may include evening and weekend hours.
Examples of Duties
- Provide instruction in accordance with established course outlines and expectations
- Inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance policy
- Maintain required student attendance and scholastic records
- Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations
- Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
- Participate in the development and review of curriculum
- Participate in the development of teaching-learning methods and materials
- Participate in departmental, area and campus professional activities/committees
- Participate in the college's learning outcomes assessment program, including course, program, and institutional assessments
- Perform tasks needed for student records, e.g., submit grades on time to admissions and records
- Master's degree from an acceptable accredited institution in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics OR
- Bachelor's degree from an acceptable accredited institution in physics or astronomy AND Master's degree in engineering, mathematics, meteorology or geophysics OR
- Hold a California Community College Credential in physics OR
- The equivalent
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- Minimum of one year of community college teaching experience in physics/astronomy
- Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments
How to Apply:
- Submit a complete application by the closing date/time on the Merced College career pages at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/promotionaljobs.
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position (cover letter).
- List of three professional references (no reference letters permitted).
- Legible unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts must include the degree major and date the institution granted the degree. Official copies are not required unless applicant is hired.
- Diversity Statement: The Merced College District has a diverse staff and student population. As such, applicants must demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community at large. Please describe how your professional experience would contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please do not include any personally identifying information. Limit your response to one (1) page.
- Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation completed by an approved organization per the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf (Download PDF reader).
- Equivalency Review Form (Required for applicants who do not possess the stated minimum educational qualifications and are seeking consideration on the basis of equivalency) http://www.mccd.edu/offices/hr/jobs/eqforms.html.
Only the required documentation as listed above will be accepted for this recruitment. Any additional documentation will be removed from your application profile.
Those applicants deemed highly qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee which includes a teaching demonstration on a selected topic. Interviews may be held onsite or via Zoom. Applicants are required to ensure access to the necessary technology to participate in a Zoom interview and will be responsible for any incurred travel expenses, if necessary.
Sick leave, faculty employed on a part-time hourly basis shall earn sick leave credit at the rate of one (1) hour for each twenty (20) hours of paid service.
Condition of Employment:
The selected candidate must be fingerprinted and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. Merced College does not sponsor visas. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees. The applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office. Merced Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/mccd/jobs/3621143/adjunct-pool-physics-astronomy-physical-science
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-594af9f9bb56424ab0392b4b293302a1